This is a simple one, even I can’t mess it up.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temp
- 3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
1. Sift together flour and salt into a bowl. Put butter into bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until fluffy, 3-5 minutes, scraping down down sides of bowl. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar ; beat until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture all at once ; mix until just combined.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F, with rack on upper third.
3. Lay baking tray with parchment paper. Roll dough out and cut out shapes with cookie cutters, place them on tray and put in the fridge for 10 minutes. Add sprinkles if you like.
4. Bake until golden brown, usually 8-10 minutes. Place on cooling rack for 20 minutes before eating.