For this simple idea I made a batch of cookies, a small jar I had around the house and a large jar from Ikea. I also cut up some fabric that I had and used some gold ribbon and an elastic band. For a more personal touch, I had some paint that works on glass, if you want to make a little note.
Chewy Molasses-Spice Cookies
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup of molasses
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Set aside. In a shallow bowl, place 1/2 cup sugar; set aside.
- In a mixer beat butter and remaining cup of sugar until combined. Beat in egg, and then molasses until combined. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in dry ingredients, until dough forms.
- Roll dough into balls, whatever size you like, just be consistent. Roll balls into reserved sugar, coat. Place on a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Bake 10-15 minutes, one sheet at a time. Cool 1 minute on baking sheets, transfer to a cooling rack.
- Once cooled, stack cookies in a jar. Depending on how soft you like them, put a piece of bread in with the cookies to keep them soft. Small for harder, larger for softer.