Blueberry & Cream Cheese Muffins from FRESH & EASY by Jane Hornby
This cook book is awesome. There are pictures for every recipe! These muffins are perfect for a Saturday morning breakfast. I made half of them without the cream cheese because my husband prefers them without.
Makes about 12 muffins
- 7 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbs sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt (or buttermilk)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1/4 tsp fine salt
- 1 scant cup superfine sugar
- 6 oz blueberries
- 4 oz cream cheese
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Line a muffin pan with muffin wrappers and preheat the oven to 400°F with the rack in the middle of the oven.
- Whisk the oil, yogurt, vanilla and eggs into the butter. In that order.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl, stir in the salt and sugar, then make a well in the middle.
- Pour the yogurt mixture into the mixing bowl. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet using a rubber spatula. When everything is mixed together add the blueberries. Fold them into the batter, the mixture will still look lumpy and uneven.
- Spoon half the batter into prepared pan. Now dot 1/2 teaspoon of cream cheese on top of each half-filled muffin. Tops the rest with batter, the wrappers will be full. Add another 1/2 teaspoon of cream cheese on top.
- Bake the muffins for 18-20 minutes, or until well risen and golden. Let the pan cool then transfer the muffins to a cooling rack to cool completely. These are most delicious when warm, but they can be stored in an airtight container overnight.
On the topic of blueberries AND cream cheese, I also made these delicious blueberry cupcakes with cream cheese frosting found on Pastry Affair . So good!